Looking to hire new sales reps? Make sure you’re using creative sales interview questions.
When hiring sales reps, it can be easy to get a nice illustration of who your candidate wants you to see. Only the most creative sales interview questions will give you a clear understanding of who you are sitting across from.
In this blog post, we will break down the interview process into phone screening questions and actual interview questions. This way, you’ll be prepared to ask the best questions no matter what step of the interview process you’re in.
Phone Screening Questions:
These questions are all about figuring out if you should take the time to actually interview the candidate. Think about questions that disqualify. Maybe it’s important that sales reps know how to use a certain software. Maybe they need a specific certification. Either way, it’s during the phone screen that you are narrowing down your list of potential candidates.
Another reason why the phone screen is important is because sales reps spend most of their day communicating on the phone. If you’re not impressed with them by the end of this call, prospects won’t be either.
Creative Sales Interview Questions: Phone Screens
- Can you tell me a little about yourself?
- Why are you applying to our position?
- What interested you about our firm?
- Why are you leaving your current position/why did you leave your last position?
- How long were the average sales cycles in your past positions?
- Do you have experience cold calling?
- How much were the average sales in your past positions?
- How do you compare to the other sales reps you work with when it comes to capability and selling power?
- How would you describe your ideal sales position?
- What type of compensation package are you looking for?
- Do you have any questions for me?
In Person Interview Questions:
This is when the questions get much more in depth. Make sure you take note of things like body language, eye contact, professional appearance, and confidence.
Creative Sales Interview Questions: In Person Interviews
- Describe your most challenging sales interaction. How did you handle yourself and what could you have done differently?
- Tell us about your biggest sale?
- How do you ensure your pipeline has a consistent flow of prospects?
- What does it take to be successful at selling?
- What’s the difference between selling a product and a service?
- Tell me about a time you did not agree with a decision your Manager made on a particular deal. How did you handle the situation?
- Tell me about a situation where you disagreed with another team member. How did you handle the situation?
- In your opinion, what is the major difference between sales and customer service?
- What steps do you take to improve your sales skills?
- Describe how you managed your time in other sales positions you have held.
- What support do you feel you need in order to achieve success?
At the end of the day, you need to hire sales reps that will make your team better than it already is. Look for people with unique skill sets, personalities, and an ability to work well on a team.
Believe it or not, these creative sales interview questions will help you hire the best reps. But, only you can decide who is the perfect fit for your team!