When it comes to leadership tips, there is a lot of advice on the web.
As a CEO and sales trainer, I have worked with a number of leaders and feel fortunate to have learned a great deal from them.
Here are six leadership tips from the best of the best.
Six Simple Leadership Tips
- What you share matters. Tell people as much as you can so that they feel empowered to act like a business owner. Share with them how your company makes money, what the company’s revenues are, what key activities drive revenue generation, etc. Let them help you develop your company philosophies. Let them create the business with as well as for you.
- Keep your emotions in check. Understand that what you “feel” and what you say are not dependent on each other. People don’t appreciate it when you speak from an angry place. People don’t know how you feel, and generally they don’t care. Don’t take it personally!
- Clean up your messes quickly and efficiently. Apologize without adding too much story about it. State what you are apologizing for, promise that it won’t happen again, and let people get past it.
- How you speak is everything. Speak to people’s bigness, not to their smallness. Enough said!
- Confront your key concerns about someone. Surface key issues, especially withheld communications between you and the other person. Don’t let them fester.
- Love people who work for you, who work above you, and who work with you. Better still, love people.
If you are in a leadership position, you have the power to decide how your employees feel. Relationships with employees are just as important as relationships with customers. We hope these six simple leadership tips will ensure you make a lasting impression with your employees as well as your customers.
What other leadership tips do you love? Share in the comments below, we’d love to hear!